I know, kids aren't supposed to like kale. But this salad is so tasty even your toughest leafy green holdouts will give up and dig in. Loaded with toasty breadcrumbs and lots of parmesan,the crispy roasted chick peas are just the icing on the, uh, salad! Lots of work for little hands in this recipe, so get a kid to help you serve it up!
Posted by Parent.co on Friday, May 26, 2017
The Best Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch lacinato kale, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas drained, rinsed, and patted dry 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted bread crumbs (heat a non-stick skillet over medium low heat, toss the breadcrumbs in the warm skillet, stirring around constantly for about 3-4 minutes until they turn toasty brown. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn!)
- Preheat your oven to 425
- Toss the chickpeas with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, 1 tsp salt, the garlic powder, and pepper to taste.
- Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast in the hot oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Roll the kale leaves, with stems removed, vertically into little tubes, and slice into thin ribbons.
- Add ribboned kale to a large mixing bowl and toss with the minced garlic, remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, remaining salt, and pepper to taste. Toss well.
- Add the parmesan cheese and toss to distribute, then add the breadcrumbs and toss one more time.
- Taste and adjust – you may want a little more salt, pepper, or lemon.
- Serve it up and add a heaping spoonful of crispy chick peas to each plate.